· You’ll burn more calories in the long term and increase your metabolism. It takes more energy for your body to maintain muscle cells than it does fat cells. So by lifting weights you’ll increase your muscle mass, which in turn will boost your metabolism and the end result will be turning your body into a fat-burning machine.
· Women between the ages of 30 and 70 lose an average of 22% of their total muscle. But worse than that, over time, once that muscle has been lost, the void is filled with fat. One pound of fat takes up 18% more space than one pound of muscle. So the more muscle you have the smaller you'll look.
· Lifting weights is the best defence against osteoporosis. When you lift weights you engage muscles that pull on the tendons which, in turn, pull on the bones. This added stress makes the bones stronger.
· Lifting weights can help to increase your level of happiness and reduce stress levels – exercise reduces the stress hormone cortisol. No wonder after every workout you feel so much better. Therefore if you don’t feel great go and lift some weights and I guarantee you’ll feel better at the end.
· Improve your balance through core workouts. Even doing squats and deadlift will help you with your core strength.